Thursday, May 24, 2018

Indomitable -- Toby Hills

This guy has always had an exceptional way with kids -- independent of the continent they reside on

By definition: a person who is tireless, passionate, stalwart, enduring, unconquerable; impossible to defeat or subdue.

It took me a bit of time to come up with one (and a bit of perusing through other submissions to make sure it hadn't been taken), but I think indomitable encapsulates who Jenny Kraus is.

To be fair, there are a great number of words that could be attached to her where they would not be incorrect. But I think indomitable serves best.

This represents the second birthday greeting
from the Korean peninsula
When I think of Jenny, I think of a person who just cares, regardless of how much effort it takes. A person who is unflinching in the face of a challenge or battle in front of her. A person who wants the best for the people around her, and will selflessly support the cause if she believes she can help. And let's be honest, she's a bit frightening. She'd definitely kick the crap out of the sucker who dared to cross her or her loved ones.

The history of our relationship is not one of overly poignant memories. But there are many present. From mini-golf at Kelley's Island. To wave-runner rides  (and wipeouts) at Farwell. Being equally creeped out as I was when what's-his-face from France thought kissing a child's hand, when she first introduced us, was a good idea. Board and card games during family holidays. Most significantly, probably, is being a support net for me when the bad times came.

The point being, is that Jenny was and is present . . . always. Present in every sense, with full energy and efficacy. But that's not the miraculous thing. Once you realize that she gives or has that same presence, effort, and endurance with every one of her relationships regardless of how grateful (or ungrateful) the counterpart is. That's when you recognize what a force it is that you're dealing with.

Good thing you tamed that beard
or you'd need a second hair net!
But in reality, she was an aunt who was capable of keeping up and having fun with the cousins. Then she became an aunt who was happy to see us when we weren't being proper little turds -- because, let's be honest, some of us were not foreign to being buttholes to one another (or in general). And eventually an aunt that made herself present as support when I needed it most. But finally, she became someone who I knew I didn't have to censor myself around, who could offer differing perspectives and would challenge me on my bullshit (sorry, I kept it G-rated as long as I could). Someone I could truly trust. She became a friend.

So Happy Birthday, Jenny! Hope you have enough tissues so soak up the monsoon coming out of your eyes, right now. Have a terrific birthday. Sorry to miss it! Hope the day goes amazingly.

Love -- Toby


No comments: