Friday, May 25, 2018

Morals -- Mollie Toth

32 years of friendship and going strong . . . 

For some reason, it feels appropriate that Jenny is one of the last of our group of high school friends to turn 40 since it always felt like the rest of us were trying so hard to grow up while Jenny was always trying to remind us of our true age, to be in the present and most importantly, to remind us how we should actually be acting.  As I sorted through countless boxes and albums of old photographs, it was only appropriate that Jenny wasn't featured in all of photos of the early days when the majority of us are striking a drunken pose, sneaking a cigarette or trying to capture our newfound bad-assery on film.  We nicknamed Jenny "Morals" in our early high school years as she was always trying to instill a little bit of WWJD (which although literally means "What Would Jesus Do? I think it would be more appropriately named "What Would Jenny Do?") into our thought processes as we made countless bad decisions.

Exhibit A
However, while Jenny flexed her moral muscles when confronted with certain social activities, when it came to captaining the Boston Whaler on Round Lake or driving the "Mimi 4" Toyota Camry, Miss Morals was happy to throw her beliefs aside and let the profanities fly.  I have never witnessed the kind of road rage (or lake rage) that Jenny historically demonstrated, and I encourage you all to stay the hell out of her way.  Or when it came to stealing the clothes off of my neighbor's cement goose (remember the whole "dress up your goose" fad?!), reenacting Top Gun or sneaking out in the middle of the night to cross country ski down the street, Jenny was all in.

This might need a touch
of explanation
If you're looking for the appropriate birthday treat, a no-bake Jell-O cheesecake is the way to her heart as that was her emotional support during the multiple times she was sworn to secrecy of the whereabouts of her ruthless friends who were out tearing up the town -- anyone remember the Floodplains?!

But I've honestly never met anyone with better intentions or such an undying need to make all those around her content.  I knew at the tender age of 8 years old that my new swim team pal would be around for awhile and 32 years later, I still love to get her on the phone for a good bout of reminiscing and belly laughs (and even if I can't see her laughing tears, I know they're rolling down her cheeks).

And Jen, no matter what, I promise not to tell anyone about what happened that summer in Paris.  ;-)

Love you, Morals!

What says "Morals" more than that outfit?

End of an era

Lifetime best buds



No comments: