Friday, May 25, 2018

Wreckless -- Jack Hills

Looks like Jack is ready to get a little "wreckless"

I chose my adjective because I feel like it would not normally be associated with Jenny, but it immediately comes to mind for me due to a particular waverunner ride about 15-20 years ago.  At that point in my life, when I got to ride the waverunner, I was normally sitting safely in front of whatever adult was driving it at the time.  Not with Jenny.  Jenny was too short for me to sit in front of her so whenever she would take me out on the wave runner I would have to sit behind her and would be subject to her crazy driving and fast turns.  For the most part I enjoyed the thrill of her crazy wave runner excursions, but I will never forget one time in particular where she took a turn extremely fast and sent me flying off the back.

It hurt. A lot.

But of course I didn't want to reveal that I was doing all I could to hold back tears.  Not in front of Jenny.  She was the cool aunt and I didn't want her to think I was being a wuss.

So good on so many levels
I can honestly say that the pain from smacking the water at what felt like 90 MPH is the only memory I have of Jenny that I do not automatically associate with happiness and fun.  I used to always get excited when we would be going to a family event that I knew Jenny would be at because she felt like a cool older cousin.  I've always respected Jenny's ability to understand and relate to others.  I've always loved the fact that I can talk freely and openly around Jenny and never feel any judgement (she must do a good job of hiding it).

The pain Jenny caused me that day on the waverunner pales in comparison to all the joy and happiness that she has provided to me and countless others over the years.

I hope she approaches "the hill" with the same fearlessness and tenacity that she approached the choppy waters of Lake Farwell on that day so many years ago.

Happy Birthday!


No comments: